Friday, September 2, 2016

Architectural Salvage


Got out of the city today and headed south. Visited what we would call an architectural salvage place and a town that has a bunch of lathe turners and just returned about an hour ago. e last blog I did had a bunch of me blathering on, so this one I’m just going to post a bunch of pics. It was an awesome day and yes dear I did buy a few things. But don’t worry, I bought nothing bigger than a fufu pounder.
A couple of things first this guy was a collector/ hoarder of chests and larders – what was/ is used in place of a fridge. My colleague and friend Samruda had to document one of the larders for the project they are working on at DICRC. Most of this stuff is 70 to 100+ years old, some even older. I just found it really interesting – one mans junk… Most these pieces are totally hand made so all the carving you see is done by hand. So I am surprised that these things would be left to spoil. Flippin’ amazing!!
If I had a nickel for every one of these scenes - Water buffalo

Sam and his larder

Architectural slavage, all hand carved

Hand raised brass, the entire front tells a story


Chests & more Chests

Lots of horse motifs

Chris doing lacquerware, a teaser for the next blog...

1 comment:

  1. But wait - fufu pounders are big! We don't have room for whatever it is that you bought. Unless it's an elephant cart. I'd make room for that.

    ReplyDelete